If you have ever wanted to know more about beards, today is your lucky day. We have compiled a list of 15 amazing facts about beards that you probably never knew. Let's get started.
1. Men who shave regularly will spend over 3,350 hours in the bathroom over the course of their lifetime.
2. The University of Southern Queensland conducted a study which found that facial hair blocks out 95% of the sun's UV rays. Additionally, it also provides signs of aging around the face and neck.
3. Did you know that there is actually a beard phobia? Yep, it's true. Pogonophobia is a fear of beards and those who have it can experience symptoms that include heart palpitations, sweating, hot flashes, and dry mouth among others.
4. Whenever he said anything of great importance, Otto the Great swore on his beard.
5. At one time Cincinnati Reds players were prohibited from having facial hair or long sideburns. Violators were not allowed to play. This restriction was eventually lifted when the team was sold in 1999.
6. The King Of Hearts is the only king in a deck of cards that does not have a mustache.
7. Hans Langseth holds the record for the longest beard ever recorded. His was 5.33 meters at the time of his death.
8. Believe it or not, Abraham Lincoln grew his beard after an eleven-year-old girl wrote to him suggesting that since his face was rather thin, he would look better if he grew a beard.
9. Do not touch the beard! During the middle ages touching another man's beard was a definite no-no. Doing so could lead to fighting a duel.
10. Due to the increased popularity of beards in recent years, beard transplant operations grew by 600% between 2008 to 2013.
11. The early bird catches the worm AND he might also get a longer beard. Studies have shown that beards grow faster during the day than at night.
12. Epictetus was so strongly attached to his beard that he stated he would rather face execution than remove it.
13. Do you have pollen or dust allergies? That alone is cause for growing a beard. Much like the hairs in your nose, beards act as a filter against these types of irritants, hence making breathing easier.
14. Think before you take up boxing. Amateur boxers are prohibited from having beards by the International Boxing Association.
15. Men are not the only ones who are capable of growing a beard. Believe it or not, the longest female beard on record was 30 centimeters in length.
Now it's your turn. After reading these fun facts, you may be inspired to grow your beard and add your own tale to the annals of beard history. Stop shaving and let that facial hair grow. You never know, you too might become a renowned beardmen.